Access Starts Online – Venue Access at The Phoenix Arts Club
The Phoenix Arts Club welcomes customers who may need a PA to be able to attend a show. If you require a PA ticket, please contact us, and we will be able to discuss your requirements and happily offer a free ticket for your PA.
Accessible viewing area
We do not have a dedicated viewing area, but are more than happy to let you into the performance space first to find a suitable area. If the performance is taking place in our members lounge, please make yourself known and if requested, we can show you through before general admittance. If the performance is in the front area of the venue, please let us know where you would like to sit, and we will do our best to accommodate.
Being a Central London venue we do not have a dedicated car park, but there is one accessible parking bay, licensed by Camden Council – so have a quick look here for details – https://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/transport-and-streets/ parking/permits/disabled-permits/green-badge-scheme.en
The Parking Bay is located in Stacey Street at its junction with Phoenix Street – a quiet residential area. The footpath is even and is some fifty paces to the venue. It can be very busy with crowds attending the neighbouring Phoenix Theatre @7.30pm. You can find a map of the area on our webpage – www.phoenixartsclub.com and a video link here –
On street parking is restricted to a maximum of 2 hours and can be found in nearby New Compton Street, WC2H.
6. Travel Guide and Arrival Guide
If customers are arriving by taxi, they can be dropped off right outside the venue. Tottenham Court Road Station (Northern and Central lines) is the closest step free station, and this is about 200 paces away. You can find a video link of the route here –
The following buses stop directly opposite the venue (North & South bound) at ‘Cambridge Circus’ – No’s 24, 29 and 176 (including respective night bus services). Our door team will be happy to assist you with any transport queries.
We do not currently have any accessible toilets within the venue.
8. Customers with Medical Requirements
If you need to bring food, drink or medication with you, we are happy to accommodate this. Please let us know in advance, so we can alert our door staff. All of our Duty Managers, Door Staff and Stage Technical Team are fully trained in First Aid.
9. Assistance Dogs
We welcome assistance dogs into the venue. Please let us know in advance if you will be bringing an assistance dog with you. If necessary, we can find a space away from the performance for your dog to stay. You may have trouble claiming your pooch back as we really want one…
We do not use strobe lighting at the Phoenix Arts Club.
11.Other Info (e.g. assisted performances)
Many of our events are held informally and audiences are not expected to sit quietly! We post regular updates of our evenings on Facebook and our webpage. If you would like to be notified in advance of our more relaxed and informal performances simply contact us as listed at ‘2’
We are proud to have an artistic programme that is one of the most diverse and inclusive in London, and work with over 400 creative practitioners a year to bring the best new and emerging artists to the West End – celebrating LGBTQ+ entertainment, cabaret, musical theatre, opera and more.
Many of our shows operate a NOTAFLOF (not turned away for lack of funds) scheme, where those unable to afford a ticket, can request a complimentary ticket at firstname.lastname@example.org. We try our best to cater to every request.
We also operate several ticket bands, with many shows starting from just £10 a ticket.
The Phoenix Arts Club is an equal opportunities employer and enjoys being a naturally diverse and inclusive working environment thanks to our community of 400+ creative practitioners who take part and run productions here on a yearly basis, and the thousands of theatre workers who frequent the venue day and night.
Studying Marketing, Theatre Management or are on a course learning skills that are applicable to a live entertainment setting? We offer twelve, three month placements a year for students, giving them meaningful experiences as part of their studies. Many of our placement students go on to either work for the venue, or at a neighbouring business. To find out more please email email@example.com
Bar & Front of House Staff
Do you want to join the team at London’s legendary (and Time Out’s most loved) theatrical entertainment venue? The Phoenix Arts Club is looking for ambitious, theatre-loving Bar & Front of House staff for part- and full-time roles. The Phoenix Arts Club specialises in showcasing new works to over 100,000 visitors a year and welcomes thousands of creatives to perform, network and train. This is the perfect opportunity to grow creatively and contribute to the excellent reputation of one of the last remaining independent venues in London’s glittering West End.
Please email CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Full time – minimum 40 hours per week
Part time – minimum two shifts (between 16 and 20 hours per week)
Working hours/days – a mix of daytime and evening/night shifts including weekends. You may be expected to work additional hours.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* ensure high standard of delivery of all customer facing areas, including welcoming guests for our shows, delivering accurate serves and speedy delivery of drinks and food to tables
* approachable, taking time to answer guests’ questions
* guiding guests to their seats for shows
* deliver an unforgettable Phoenix Arts Club experience from the moment guests arrive at the venue – building on our 1,000+ 5star reviews
Bar & Food
* prepare bar orders in line with hygiene and presentation standards
* comply with all licensing regulations including ‘challenge 25’ policy
* proactively sell to customers, share promotions, encouraging drinks upgrades
* prepare any pre-ordered drinks via our app, website or other
* monitor cleanliness and hygiene of the venue to a 5-star standard
* promote and practice compliance with fire, health, food and drinks safety and hygiene standards and regulations
* ensure that service areas, equipment, cellars, and stock rooms are clean and hygienically sanitised
* ensure glassware, plates and cutlery are in pristine and equipment is serviced
* receiving and checking deliveries, storing documentation appropriately
* participate in all stock control processes – stock rotation, stock counting
* comply with Company dress code and adhere to all policies and procedures
* be passionate about London’s entertainment sector – especially theatre!
* Ability to work at least two shifts a week if part time with willingness to work evenings and weekends
* able to deliver high quality service in a commercial multi-purpose venue setting, leading a Bar/FOH team
* ability to deliver 5-star customer service, especially in a live event setting
* keeping calm under pressure
* prior experience of Bar & front of house
This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required. It is not wholly comprehensive or restrictive and may be reviewed with the post holder and line manager as operationally required
The Phoenix Arts Club is a member of the Camden Climate Change Alliance, the IEMA (Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment) which gives us access to regular updates including access to COP26, and we follow the guidence set out by Theatre Green book for sustainable productions, including monitoring our carbon footprint and aim of achieving net zero by 2030. You can find details of our sustainability approach below.
We follow the principles of The Theatre Green Book, and are working toward making our Building, Productions and Operations as sustainable as possible. You can find out more about the initiative at https://theatregreenbook.com/
As of September 2020, The Phoenix Arts Club runs on 100% renewably sourced energy. This is a partnership with British Gas Business, and certified by the Carbon Trust.
All lighting is LED powered and we use state of the art air filtration units and new extractor fans throughout the space, providing clean air at all times (it is replaced every 12 minutes). We don’t use single use plastics in the venue and we work closely with one of the leading Recycling and Waste Management specialists, First Mile to leave a Greener Footprint.
Where physical theatre sets are used, we try our best to repurpose them into permanent installations within the venue. The majority of our shows are set-less, relying instead on use of projection.
As a local arts space many of our employees and audience live and work in Camden. We encourage our staff to walking and cycle to work, and provide them with changing facilities, lockers and storage for their bicycles. We also support our staff with flexible working.